Online applications will be accepted January 15 – March 1, 2022
Each Spring and Fall, Unity Gardens awards grants to local communities to support planting initiatives that use the power of native plants to address issues like stormwater runoff, pollution and habitat loss.
Following the pandemic, there’s a heightened interest in nature, as well as improving the world around us. In response, Unity Gardens is doubling the grant funds available this spring, to make a powerful impact in our communities.
Unity Gardens will continue to fund grants up to $1000, as we have since 2003. In addition, we’ll also be funding several Power Grants up to $3,000 each. The same application will be used for all grants.
Unity Gardens funds groups such as homeowners associations, faith-based organizations, schools and scout groups, garden clubs, and other qualified nonprofits. The deadline to apply is March 1, 2022. The application becomes available online January 15. Interested applicants can study the Fall 2021 application (below) as well as learn about past grant projects here.
We’re are also happy to talk to you about your potential project before you submit an application. Email email@example.com to set up a time to review your project plans with us.
We prefer that organizations apply using our online grant application. To avoid surprises, please download a PDF copy of the application in advance to use as a reference as you prepare all the materials you need once you begin completing the online form. Prepare the following files as you will be asked to upload a Project Description, Photos of the Site, Sketch of the Proposed Garden, and a Proposed Budget (save in Excel or Google Sheets) and Impact Statement.
How to Apply for a Grant
Please read through the information on the page below, as it contains answers to most people’s questions. If you still have questions, you many email Joni Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Spring 2022 Grant Eligibility Requirements & Guidelines
- Spring 2022 Online Application (Available January 15, 2022)
- Fall 2021 Unity Gardens Grant Application (pdf)
- Fall 2021 Unity Gardens Grant Application (Word doc)
- Unity Gardens Grant Application Budget Worksheet
Helpful Tips: Writing a Successful Application
Your chance of receiving a grant decreases if you are missing attachments or we have to contact you for questions or clarification. Below, we’ve included parts of GREAT past applications you can use as guides:
- Project Description
- Photos of Site
- Maintenance Plan
- Planting Plan Hand-drawn
- Planting Plan – Computer generated
- Sample Project Budget – Simple
- Sample Project Budget with Shared Funding
Helpful Tips: Budget Form & Funding Tips
Helpful Tips: Native Plants, Design Tool, Project How-To’s
- How to Choose & Find Native Plants
- Local Native Plant Nurseries
- Online Yard Design Tool
- Project How-To’s: Instructions on 100+ projects for everyone!
- Helpful Tips: Grant projects can receive wholesale pricing through our partners at Patuxent Nursery and Babikow Just ask!
Helpful Tips: Maintaining Your Project
Helpful Tips: Planting Day
Helpful Tips: Sharing Your Project
Other Helpful Resources
- Unity Gardens Grantee Projects: Photos, Maps & More!
- Online Resources for Native Plants, Landscaping for Wildlife, Project How-To’s & More
- Many of the above tips can be found in: Schoolyard Habitat Project Guide from the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. You can also request a free print copy by mail at: R8schoolyardhabitat@fws.gov.
To receive notifications about upcoming grants and to keep up with other Unity Gardens’ news, sign up for our e-newsletter HERE.
Are you already a Unity Gardens grant recipient? Visit our Grantee Resource Page